Sunday, August 31, 2008

What do you think?


This is a quilt I made from a Kaffe Fassett pattern. It's called pastel handkerchief squares. The stripes are folded and sewn at an angle to make the two-sided "frame" effect for the flower squares. Anyway, when I got it done, I wasn't really happy with it. I have a hard time with these bright Kaffe Fassett patterns. I love them, but when I put my fabrics together to make one, it ends up too busy or something. In this one, I think I used too many different fabrics. Maybe I should have used fewer different stripes and/or fewer different florals in the squares. One thing I think might help is a design wall - it's hard for me to get the overall effect of these quilts until everything is sewn together and I can look at it from a distance.
When Pam and Kathy and I were fabric shopping in the Cleveland area, we saw one of these quilts made up in the Canton fabric shop that we all liked.
Input and constructive criticism is welcome! I'm working on another quilt using a lot of Kaffe Fassett fabrics and I'm afraid I'm getting carried away with all the beautiful big floral prints again!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. I don't really like how asymmetrical it is. My eye wants to go toward the lower right corner and then it doesn't really lead anywhere.

    I think you need a "design bed" where you arrange everything to get an idea of what it will look like. Or ask Dan to make a whole-wall cork bulletin board. Or make premi quilts to test it. 1cm-thick strips sounds like a great idea, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, Reenie. I think you just were holding it sideways. I rotated the picture 90 degrees (counterclockwise, I think) and it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it better rotated, too. Good eyes!

    ReplyDelete