Monday, August 11, 2008

Tote bags

I can't seem to stop making tote bags! I have about 8 different patterns that I've been playing with, trying them and then modifying them. This small purple one is from Amy Butler's "Chelsea Bag" pattern. I made this one with Timtex, the thick, very stiff interfacing, so it's more like a storage bin than a purse. I want to use it on my sewing table and I wish I had made it a bit wider at the base, but otherwise it's perfect for that. I want to make another one a bit less stiff to use as a bag - I think I'll try the bigger version of the pattern for that.

I made this bag to give to Marian as a kind of beach bag, since they're living in Hawaii. I copied one that Emily and I saw in a fabric shop in North Carolina. We picked out a pretty "Hawaiian-looking" batik and I added the solid orange and green for the pocket and lining.

The green bag is quilted. I wanted to try out a quilt backing that I bought in Kentucky. It's a plain white fabric imprinted with a swirling kind of design - the idea is to use it as a quilt backing and quilt along the lines for an overall quilt design. I tried it on two rectangles of the green fabric and then made the bag from them. Since I'm still pretty new at machine quilting and not very good at improvising free-motion designs, the backing worked well for me. I was going to finish this like Pam's beach bag, but then decided to line it with a bright print fabric.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. I love your tote bags, Reenie. I made that little Chelsea bag some time ago, and I use it for my knitting. It stands up nicely to use as a basket at home, and I tie it closed with a piece of yarn to take with me for knitting on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, Mom. I like the first one, too. I like the idea of a bag that stands up on its own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the Chelsea bag, Reenie. I think I might have seen that pattern at Kathy's house.... might need to borrow it. You can never have too many bags!

    ReplyDelete