Friday, June 15, 2007

Alphabet Book



This project goes WAY back...when Zachary was born, Geri Laney made him an alphabet book. I don't know if she used a pattern or not, but it is darling. She used corduroys and calicos in mostly primary colors and it had really cute objects to illustrate the different letters, some of them quite elaborate and some with removable parts (like a flower that buttoned on and off). It became a favorite toy of ours (note the stain on the front, and several missing parts) and despite having been made 26 years ago (!) it doesn't look dated at all. I always wanted to try to copy it, and recently made one that is a hybrid, using some of Geri's ideas and some from a pattern I had bought for an alphabet book. I made mine with felt pages and adhesive appliques with zigzag stitching. I used the letter templates from the purchased pattern, and for the pictures I used a combination of ones copied from Geri's, some from the purchased pattern, and some I made up. It's cute, but I used much simpler designs and construction, and Geri's is much cuter! Next time I think I'll copy her patterns more closely.

1 comment:

  1. I found a cool version of this project here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=122223.0

    Mom, who is this book for? Are you and Dan trying to brush up on your ABCs?

    ReplyDelete