Monday, January 22, 2007

I blame my mom


I have a problem finishing projects. Where does that come from, I wonder???? Anyway, Martha Stewart has a pattern for a simple knit scarf on her website http://marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=channel172064&site=
and I started it about 2 years ago. I got about 2/3 done and stopped--probably because it was Spring and I only knit in the winter for unknown reasons. In the interest of removing clutter from my life, I decided to finish the scarf this year. The problem was that I couldn't find the same yarn again. I chose another nice color and decided that if it looked intentional it was okay. I started knitting and quickly realized that the circular needle I stored the scarf-bit on was not the same size as the needle I started with. The result is a different-colored, larger end. It is ridiculous.

5 comments:

  1. Your scarf story sounded SO familiar. Definitely don't throw it in the garbage, because if you do you'll soon see a very similar scarf in a charming boutique priced at $80. The asymetrical look will be all the rage. My advice is to pretend that it's a normal scarf and do with it whatever you originally intended (wear it or give it as a gift). The size difference won't show if it's wrapped around someone's neck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My plan for the scarf is our church's "caring and sharing" center, which gives clothing and household goods away to the community. I have a million scarves and so do all of my friends (this is why I should get better at knitting and make sweaters or something). My other complaint about this scarf is that it is mostly stockinette stitch and rolls instantly. I can't see myself ironing a scarf, so it has to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I get the dig...however, you should know Emily that I got out of the storage box that cross-stitch winter scene that you and I started about, oh...10 years ago?? I'm working on finishing it! Now the pressure's on and I'll show a picture when it's done! (There's something about the new year that makes me dig through the boxes of unfinished projects.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, I love your poignant ending to this story.... we need to start a special blog section called, "It is ridiculous." I have many items I could contribute, including the first pair of mittens I knitted, one larger than the other, and one with a huge thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to see a picture of Pam's glove with one big thumb. Emily, I love the title and the ending to your post. Well, of course you blame your mom! That's what we're here for!

    ReplyDelete