Monday, January 22, 2007

Denyse Schmidt crafts



These are two of the crafts Emily and I worked on over Christmas...they are both from patterns in the book "Denyse Schmidt Quilts". I made this zigzag change purse and Emily also made the matching zigzag bag. They're both made from vinyl. We had never sewn vinyl before and we found this vinyl in a little fabric shop in San Francisco's Chinatown (of all places). It was really easy to sew with just regular thread and needle on the machine. We also found another type of vinyl-like shiny material we liked, but it was impossible to sew - we're still trying too think of ways to use that stuff!
I used Insul-Brite batting in the oven mitt, so it's heat resistant. We made a bunch of mitts and potholders, using different fabric combinations in pathwork a la Denyse Schmidt - her book has great little projects as well as quilts, and great use of fabric!

2 comments:

  1. I gave the change purses to my friend's daughters who are 4 and 6 years old. They were a hit and the 6-year-old took hers in for show and tell the next day. Definitely a good easy gift idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a foot that came with my machine called a teflon foot that's supposed to be for sewing sticky fabrics. Do you think that would work?
    Those would be cute in oilcloth, too. It comes in such cute prints.

    ReplyDelete