Saturday, June 20, 2009

Blankets


Last week I decided to use some scraps to make a few blankets that I thought could be useful for picnics in the park or perhaps seating for friends with little kids during our wedding (which will also be in the park). We had two blankets when Zac and I were little called the "zoo blankets" because I guess they had zoo animals on them. Anyway, they had canvas backing and were perfect for sitting on the ground.

I wanted to do 3" squares that would be randomly chosen and pieced together. Once I got out all of my fabrics, I found that I have a lot of green/blue and a lot of yellow/pink but not many reds and not many solids, so I modified my randomness scheme to attempt to put every square next to at least one coordinating fabric. I also started doing a little bit of strip piecing to make the process more efficient. Here's what I have so far:

I decided to make each strip 30 squares long, which means I have 4 done and 26 to go!

If anybody has fabric scraps that they are not using or can spare a 3" strip of, please send them to me. I'm running out of scraps and my natural tendency to hoard may stop this project in its tracks.

Thanks in advance for any fabric donations!

2 comments:

  1. I just came from my workshop on scrap quilts, and so I'll have some scraps and some tips for you. I have a quilt very much like the one you've started where I copied a Pottery Barn quilt by cutting squares from all my yellow fabrics and adding some greens and pinks to it. I think Kathy has one in pinks or reds, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I did that with all my pink fabrics when the pink drawer got too full to close. I cut them all up into 3 1/2" squares and sewed them together randomly. It was so much fun that I kept going until it was bed-size. It's one of my favorite quilts.

    ReplyDelete