Sunday, February 3, 2008

Old sweaters never die.....

Here is a picture of two scarves I made out of old wool sweaters. We did this at our craft group meeting last week. I'm going to send them to Lauren and Rob for a Valentine's Day gift - Robbie's is made out of a bunch of his old wool sweaters. When he moved all of his stuff out of our house, he left a pile of sweaters on my sewing table with a note attached that said, "Scarf for Robbie, please." The more colorful one is for Lauren, and Kathy provided me with a lot of the wool for that one. We had a great time and everyone left with a mostly-finished scarf.

4 comments:

  1. I love it. Did you just sew together rectangles of old sweaters? I love that the POLO logo is on Rob's, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are actually TWO Polo horsies on Rob's scarf... and a small pocket from another sweater. I just cut random pieces from the sweaters - 7 inches wide, to allow for seams - and I used random lengths. (I had to work around lots of holes in the sweaters!)I did all of my sewing on the machine, but several of my friends hand-stitched their squares together. For Rob's, I backed it with another set of sweater pieces. Lauren's is backed in off-white flannel. I find myself eyeing people's sweaters now, thinking, "Gee, that would look good in a felted scarf."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great! Did you felt them? If so, did you do it before or after the sewing? I love any project that reuses something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did felt the sweaters this time. For the first scarf that I made last year, I didn't felt the wool, but I like the texture and weight of the felted wool. I think I'm going to have to buy a spearate washer and dryer to use for felting - what a mess it makes!

    ReplyDelete