Sunday, November 11, 2007

Art Quilts


This is a picture of an art quilt that we saw when we were in Brown County, Indiana in early October. John's Aunt Jody and Uncle Larry took us to a local art show, where we got to meet several of the artists. The woman who made this quilt is Daren Pitts Redman. She was really cute and very nice, as she told me how she threw away all of her printed fabrics, and now dyes and paints all of her fabrics herself. This quilt is supposed to represent the view when she was on a bike ride.... blue sky, red barns, yellow corn, green grass, and brown creek beds. Here is a link to her website.
She also told me about a woman, Elaine Ellison, who makes quilts based on mathematical principles. Here is a link to her website, which is quite interesting. (Even with all of my mathematical education, I hadn't heard of some of the things she refers to.)

5 comments:

  1. just when you think quilting can't get any nerdier, that math lady finds a way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I've also been tempted to throw away all my print fabric sometimes. I love some quilts made just with solids, like the ones made by Denyse Schmidt and Judi Boisson. I can identify with some of those Brown County themed quilts by the Indiana lady - I remember what a beautiful place that is. I'm just not as creative as she is about translating it to quilts! Sounds like a great show you saw, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now let's not get all crazy and talk about throwing away fabric.
    I do love the quilts Pam showed us and some of those contemporary quilts, but except for when I was making Amish-type quilts (I think you gave me the book I worked from, Reenie),working with just solids is not as satisfying to me as having some prints in there. With the Amish quilts, it was fascinating to think about the nuances of color and what happened when you put them together.
    Kaffe Fassett's book QUILTS IN THE SUN has some nice combinations of solids with those great prints of his. See some of them at http://www.cottonpatch.co.uk/acatalog/Kaffe_Fassett_Quilts_in_The_Sun_Packs.html
    I saw the book in the bookstore and I have it on order from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love Kaffe Fassett quilts and fabrics, in fact I have a couple quilt tops put together from his patterns and fabric. But I think I need HELP with color and design - my things look too busy! I'll post some pictures soon and you can all give me feedback. That cotton patch website is good, Kathy. Did you look at their blog? I printed out the instructions for their morsbag. I'm on a campaign to get everyone to use reusable grocery bags, so I think I'll make some simple tote bags like those for gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reusable grocery bags! Great idea for Christmas gifts. I have some from Trader Joe's and some from Giant Eagle. I keep them in my car but usually forget to take them into the store.
    I'm going to buy Whole Foods bags and gift certificates for Steve and Linda for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete