Sunday, January 18, 2009

More Presents

I seem to do most of my sewing right around the holidays, but not necessarily in time for Christmas. This weekend, I made placemats for my old roommate, Mindy. She bought a condo in Chapel Hill a few years ago and just bought dining room furniture for it. I'm thrilled for her since she no longer has to eat her meals on the couch. I'm also jealous because we still don't have dining room furniture and therefore eat all our meals on the couch!
We found these great fabrics at Whizbang Fabrics in San Francisco. One side has a print of old cars, which I really like and speaks to Mindy's love of cars. The back has fair-trade fabric from South Africa, which we picked up for 1/2 off. I made them smaller than Mom's placemat pattern because I didn't buy enough fabric for 20x16, so I made them 18x13". They seem pretty big, though. I put one layer of felt in between for some bulk and hopefully the ability to absorb liquid better than two layers of cotton alone.
I'll mail them this week and will update later with the answer to the question: Do people use placemats anymore?

No comments:

Post a Comment