Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day Weekend Labors

I had a fun Labor Day weekend. First I made a purse/backpack from a pattern from Liesl & Co. (Kathy and Reenie have already made these, and I was so impressed that I ordered the pattern for myself.) You can also order the pattern from Purl Soho in NY with the hardware included. My only advice is to order extra rivets -- I messed up several before I got the general idea.
Next, I re-covered a set of dining room chairs for Robbie and Sarah for their place in Boston. We bought the dining room set from a friend, and the chairs were red velvet. I covered them with some pretty Ralph Lauren fabric that I had on hand..... Reenie and Kathy might recognize it from the vacation in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. We made some tote bags out of it, and I still had enough left over to cover a set of chairs!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, cute! That red and white large print fabric looks familiar. Was I with you when you bought that? At Purl Soho maybe? or in Florida? Looks like that dining room set is in great condition. How nice for Rob and Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the purse, Pam - I haven't made mine yet! I recognized that fabric, too - I think you bought it in Florida. Pam and Kathy - Do you recommend an upholstery weight fabric for that purse, or regular quilting cotton?

    The chairs are great, too. I have a matching tote bag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both projects look really good, Pam. I love the backpack in a big print.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought that piece of fabric when we were in New York. I like the upholstery weight fabric, and I used that iron-in fleece for the interfacing, then used a regular cotton for the lining. I bought a lighter weight upholstery piece to make one for Sarah, and I'm thinking of using a lighter-weight interfacing in that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I also like your dining room curtains in the background!

    ReplyDelete