Monday, August 16, 2010

Flea Market Find!

There's a new antiques and flea market in San Francisco now at Candlestick Park, and Dan and I went on Sunday. I found this Vera Christmas tablecloth - I remember having Vera tablecloths and towels, and scarves back in the 70's. She was a very popular designer back then, known for her bright and modern floral designs. (There was another tablecloth with her bright yellow poppies design - I could swear I owned a linen towel with that design at one point!) I had heard that her designs are being revived. In fact, in New York I bought some file folders with her designs at the Museum shop. I don't think I had ever seen this Christmas design. The tablecloth is quite large, and my first thought is to cut a hole in it and make it a tree skirt - I need a tree skirt! When I got it home I realized that it's not round though, it's oval. Still could do it, but I don't know...anyone have any other ideas for ways to "re-purpose" this??


3 comments:

  1. That is really cute. You could use it for a tree skirt - just cut a slit in it up to the middle and then bunch it up around the tree in a foldy, bunched-up, way. That's what I used to do before I got a real tree skirt. I kind of wrapped a red tablecloth around the tree base and bunched it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great find, Reenie. If it's in good shape, I wouldn't be able to cut it. I have no imagination!
    I don't have any of my Very scarves, but I do have an original Peter Max scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it. You could cut and hem it into a circle and use the edges for Christmas cocktail napkins or tea towels.

    I think I remember that yellow poppy one from years ago!

    ReplyDelete