Sunday, April 25, 2010

Not Cool Enough

I saw a great post on Anna Maria Horner's blog about quilting with embroidery floss. I even commented (which I rarely do) that I would try it on my next quilt. Well, my next quilt is one of the twins quilts for Brian's cousin. I thought that I could use the same color of thread for both quilts to help make them more similar to one another, but it turns out I'm not cool enough for colored thread.

As you can see, I have my usual obsessively-tiny white quilting thread on the left and the chunky purposefully-larger embroidery thread on the right. It turns out that I am not open-minded enough for large visible stitches. I'm back to my little white ones and if anybody can use some navy embroidery thread, let me know. I have more than a few skeins :)

4 comments:

  1. Looking back at her post, I think part of the problem is that I'm quilting on white fabric. It looks better when it is matching or close to matching with the fabric, so I'm not giving up on this idea entirely just yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a cool look, though. Very old fashioned. I kinda like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily - Kathy and I just took a class on "big-stitch" quilting. She encouraged us to use a contrasting color thread and to make the stitches big. I loved it. (Of course, my project is only partially finished... I'll post it when I'm done.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, our quilt guild also did a workshop on "big-stitch quilting". I like it, especially done with embroidery floss or perle cotton. It reminds me of sashiko stitching, which I love.

    ReplyDelete