Saturday, February 11, 2012

Baby Quilt: Denise Schmidt stairway


Even with the iPhone, I am bad at documenting the few things I actually get around to making these days. Sorry for the imperfect picture.

This is my latest quilt made for Desmond Henry, the one-month-old son of one of my best and oldest friends, Maya. The pattern is from Quilts, Baby! which I borrowed from my mom. They recommended making every-other row white but I wanted to use all of the DS Quilts patterns that I've bought from JoAnn Fabrics. I know this line is controversial, but I love it. We don't have a good fabric store around here, which I consider a major travesty, so finding great patterns at JoAnn has been wonderful. This is the second quilt I've made with these fabrics, so I'll try to photograph the earlier one.

This pattern was great. It was really fun to get everything cut out and then laid out in piles in order. Putting it together was addictive. I would finish one row and then think, "Ok, just one more." I was working on it while another friend was in labor and I was anxiously awaiting updates, so I was happy to have something to occupy my mind and my time. Anyway, it's a great pattern and I love the way it turned out. I can't wait to send it to Maya.

3 comments:

  1. REALLY cute, Emily!! How did you quilt it? Now I want to make one from that pattern, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, I'll send the book back for you. The way they do it with alternating rows of white is cute because they embroider animals climbing the steps. I just did big squares of big stitches using yellow embroidery floss. I love giant chunky quilting stitches these days!

    ReplyDelete