Monday, July 21, 2008

Who needs a sewing machine?

I decided to go with Zelda Fitzgerald (crazy wife of F. Scott and famous Alabamanian) for the costume party on Saturday. I got 1.5 yards of this green satin fabric for $3.50 from JoAnne Fabrics and a $7 bucket hat from Target. I also bought Stitch Witch, which is explicitly only for hems, but I thought it could be strong enough to hold a flimsy dress together. And it worked! All the seams are ironed-on glue!

Even the hat is Stitch Witch-ed. I cut the bucket hat and overlapped the brim so it made more of a cloche shape.

At the last minute I added lampshade fringe to
the top of the dress, the beads ($3 for a bag and
strung on black thread), and a coordinating
flower-type thing on the hat. Overall, the outfit was pretty good and it may be my cheapest theme party outfit yet at under $20!

2 comments:

  1. Very cute, Emily! I didn't even know that Zelda was from Alabama. What were other people dressed as??

    ReplyDelete
  2. While there were a few noteable Alabamanians (Whitney was Bear Bryant and Willow was Tallulah Bankhead, my 1920's compatriot, and Dan went as Mia Hamm), most people went as famous Brits. There are just way more of them.
    Sarah was Amy Winehouse, Danny was David Bowie, Kim was Elizabeth I, and there were two Posh and Becks couples there. It was a weird theme, but everyone rose to the occasion.

    ReplyDelete